Friday 1 October 2010

BANANA LOAF

For me it's the only way to go with brown bananas! I've been a fan of the Tana Ramsay and Bill Granger banana loaves for a long time but I decided to break with tradition and try one from The Hummingbird Bakery. I'm so glad I did as it tastes just perfect. It went down well with my 3 year old too who isn't a big fan of bananas. His words were "delicious Mummy!" so I think this one will become a firm favourite in the future.
270g soft brown sugar
2 eggs
200g peeled bananas, mashed
280g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
140g unsalted butter
Preheat the oven to 170 degrees C.
Using a handheld electric whisk beat together the eggs and sugar. Beat in the mashed banana.
Add the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and ginger. Mix it until all the ingredients are incorporated into the egg mixture.
Pour into a loaf tin and bake for about 1 hour until firm to the touch.
Leave to cook slightly in the tin and turn out onto a rack and leave to cook completely.
The recipe did say to prepare the tin by greasing and dusting with flour, I used baking parchment to line my tin but I will definitely use their method next time to get a nice smooth edge to the loaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment